How to travel with your dog: Austin Edition
Thursday, October 06, 2016 02:47:17 PM America/Los_Angeles
Most people know Austin as the place to enjoy live music and a unique cultural experience, what they don't know is how much fun you'll have with your dog while you're here. We want everyone to know why it's a great idea to bring your dog when traveling to Austin, so we put together a few reasons.
Source: Sean Pavone/Shutterstock
Food: We promise you'll have plenty of dining options, and there's no need to leave your dog at the hotel. Austin offers a wide-variety of pet-friendly dining options. Examples include:
- Red's Porch: Offering a relaxing atmosphere, gorgeous views and great food. There's also a full bar and pet friendly seating available.
- Moonshine Grill: All guests, even the furry ones, receive a family friendly greeting at Moonshine Patio, Bar & Grill. Putting their own spin on traditional American dishes, you're sure to find something to satisfy your appetite. Pets welcome.
- Mozart's Coffee Roasters: Need your morning, or any other time, caffeine fix? Mozart's brews a variety of gourmet coffee flavors. Have a sweet tooth? Their indulging dessert menu offers plenty of freshly baked options. Yep, you guessed it, the pup can tag along.
Hotels: Don't worry about finding a place to stay with your dog, Austin has that covered too. Listed below are just few of Austin's pet-friendly hotels. Also, don't forget your indoor dog potty for when your pup has to use the bathroom. Have a DoggieLawn sent to your hotel in advance to make sure your dog has a place to go.
- Hilton Austin: Located in Downtown Austin, the Hilton offers fast access to great dining, shopping and live music venues. Dogs always welcome.
- Omni Hotel: The Omni, also in Downtown Austin, is minutes away from the 6th Street entertainment district. Have a cocktail or light meal at the Atrium Lounge. Don't worry about sneaking your pets in, they greet small dogs and cats with a smile.
- Holiday Inn Austin Airport: This stylish hotel, located near the Bergstrom International Airport, offers spacious rooms, high-speed internet and a complimentary shuttle to local attractions. Non-fur Kids stay and eat free. Don't worry, fur-kids stay here all the time too.
Shopping? What's better than a dog-friendly shopping district? We're not sure either, that's why we're telling you about these.
- The Domain: "I hate taking my dog everywhere I go," said no fur-parent ever. The Domain, featuring a scenic park setting, offers a pet-friendly shopping experience. From luxury retail like Tiffany & Co to Dick's Sporting Goods, there's something for everyone. Many stores offer pets fresh water and a treat, to re-energize for more shopping.
- Barton Creek Farmers Market: From live music to delicious, organic food, Barton Creek has something for everyone. They invite leashed pets to come try a few local flavors too.
Parks and fun: We still haven't given you enough to get your tail wagging? No problem, we're far from done. After you've decided where to sleep and eat and picked up a few new outfits on your shopping excursion, it's time to get outside and run free.
- Zilker Park: With 351 acres and 416 acres of water space, this park has everything. Whether it's running, biking, swimming or kayaking, you'll find it here. Good luck convincing your dog, or yourself, to leave.
- The State Capital: Feeling historic? Check out Austin's state capital, built-in 1888. Pack a lunch and enjoy an outdoor picnic with your dog. Afterwards, a guided tour is a great way to burn a few calories.
- Norwood Dog Park: You can't bring your dog to Austin without a trip to this awesome, entirely fenced dog park. Do big dogs make your little guy nervous? No worries, there's a separate space for small dogs.
We hope this helps during your trip to Austin!